Thursday, July 10, 2008

New Project

I've learned that things can change at the drop of a hat. I've been working on one project my whole time here, designing collateral for a corporate campaign; everything from banners to packaging, to posters. Today I moved onto another "more traditional" project that exemplifies gravity tank's IxD workflow. I'm still learning exactly what this means, but from my understanding of it, it's gt's model for innovation. For a better explanation visit their website at gravitytank.com
I can't talk specifically about what I'm doing, but the feel is completely different. Whereas before I was working in the usual modes of expression for design, now it feels much more that the design I'm doing is a vehicle for information. Even more so than it was before. Literally, gravity tank's IxD process has generated dense information, and it is my job to make the process easier to understand. Though I don't usually enjoy doing work like this, I understand how important its implications are. To be honest, at first I wasn't sure if the type of work gravity tank was doing was right for me. I didn't see it as imagistically captivating, as visually profound. Now I see that the premises that are established here are good groundwork and structure for any piece of design. Though stark modernism is not my style, learning to appreciate it has taught me the importance of composition, scale, and hierarchy. These are all overarching themes in the curriculum of the school of design, but I think it took real-world experience for these lessons to solidify into truth. Though I felt like I was being trained to understand these principles of design, the emphasis in my work was oftentimes more concerned with overall imagistic presence, with drama and immediate impact, and less concerned with details. Now I understand that unless these details are in place, unless the underlying structure is strong and clear, any additional finessing is pointless.
 That's all for now - more to come as I become more involved in the process.


No comments: